You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Journey to Fabulous and Fifty: Grocery shopping with coupons -- can you do that and eat healthy post-VGS?

Friday, June 20, 2014

Grocery shopping with coupons -- can you do that and eat healthy post-VGS?

I didn't become a coupon convert until after my VGS surgery, so I can answer this question with a resounding YES!

I started with using coupons to buy things like laundry detergent, toothpaste, shampoo, dish soap, cat food, hair color, bar soap, body wash, etc. The money I saved on those items I rolled over into our grocery budget. The higher quality protein powder I can tolerate is not cheap, so I had to find a way to make sure the family was still eating healthy, but not at my expense.


This is one of my first coupon "hauls". The granola thins were great because they are low in calories (considering what my kid could have been eating) and sugar. I ended up with 4 boxes and the guys were good about eating them. They'd have one as a snack. I had a few too, not all at one time! They were really good when I needed a chocolate fix!

This one was awesome! I don't eat bread and they guys don't eat it much, but the bread did go to something good. It was only two loaves but I passed it on to a single mom who was able to make sandwiches for her two kids for a couple of weeks. She was grateful because her SNAP benefits and food she gets from the food pantry only go so far. She also enjoyed the vegetable barley soup I gave her too!

The Vidal Sassoon products cost me so little...and they go so far. The Barbasol was 70% off with sale and coupon. So were the Jiff PB and the Smucker's Jelly. The olives were 50% the regular price with the Walgreens coupon.
Another really great trip! The Tecnu ended up being free (it was $5 with $5 in Walgreens Register Rewards) and so was the Pink ($9 with $9 in Register Rewards). The same for the toothpaste, toothbrushes and mouthwash. Had a coupon and then they each had a $2.50 Register Reward benefit. $3.99 on sale -- $2.99 with coupon and then $2.50 Register Reward. The Ajax and tissues were half price with the Walgreens coupon.

This is one of my favorites! Fresh fruit is expensive but I was able to score fruit in 100% juice! These are normally $3.49 each -- they were on sale $2.50 each. I had a $1/1 coupon -- so they were down to $1.50 each. A local store has this thing called "Gas Points" and you get one point for every dollar you spend. $100 equals 10¢ off per gallon. They do these special combos where if you buy certain products in certain combos you get extra gas points. You also get gas points for each coupon you use.
I bought 12 jars of Dole fruit -- 2 transactions. Why? Because when I bought 6 I got an extra 200 gas points. I also used 6 coupons per transaction, receiving 60 gas points for using the coupons. Plus the gas points I earned for buying the product.

On top of that, the week I the local store had a thing called "dollar doublers" which means any coupon with a value of $1 off is doubled, giving you $2 off with that coupon. You can only use 4 per transaction. You don't get gas points for those "coupons." In each of the two transactions 4 jars cost me only 50¢ each. Yes -- 4 jars for $2 -- and then two more for $3 -- a total of $10 12 jars of fruit in 100% juice. Regular price? $41.88 -- and no this is NOT typical! It didn't take a lot of effort either. Oh, and I now am up to $1.40 off a gallon of gas - up to 30 gallons. My son will be visiting from Indiana next week and my "gift" to him will be 15 gallons of gas to get home -- and a big box of laundry detergent, dish soap, bar soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. which will hopefully keep him from needing to buy that stuff until he's home for a visit again. 

You can check out my Coupon Mom In Training blog for more on my coupon adventures. We've been on a few "no buy weeks" so we haven't been shopping much, only the necessities. That's another plus to coupon shopping, there are times when money is tight you can say, we're just buying basics this week! Or even we're not buying ANYTHING this week!

Check out Saving Pennies, Nickels, Dimes and Dollars -- I tell you this is the best group for anyone who wants to or does coupon. Whether you are just getting started or you're experienced -- you will find the best deals, completely broken down, where to find the coupons, etc. to get the most for your money AND you won't be eating junk. I swear to you...we're doing it!