You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Journey to Fabulous and Fifty: Zucchini noodles and homemade better-for-you pasta sauce -- This is the food I eat!

Monday, February 24, 2014

Zucchini noodles and homemade better-for-you pasta sauce -- This is the food I eat!

This is something I look forward to eating again --- Zucchini "noodles"! And homemade better-for-you pasta sauce!

For the four weeks leading up to my surgery I was following a strict South Beach Phase 1 diet. One night "The Hubs" and "Second Son" wanted pasta and I refused to give in and eat it! Not even whole wheat pasta. What did I do? I made zucchini "noodles"!


Zucchini noodles!
Easy enough really! I didn't feel like pulling out the mandolin so I just grabbed my trusty vegetable peeler. I rinsed 3 small zucchini and then I took the vegetable peeler and went to town making thin strips of zucchini!

I put the steamer basket in one of my shallower pots and put water just to the bottom of the pot, turned the burner on high and brought the water to a boil. Then I put the zucchini "noodles" in, covered it and turned off the heat and left it for about 2 to 4 minutes.
Yum! Served with pasta sauce & Italian "sausage" flavored TVP
I came back flipped the "noodles" around a bit and left them covered for another minute. I like mine just barely soft.


Then I tossed them with my homemade better-for-you pasta sauce to which I had added my Italian "sausage" flavored TVP. Put it on the plate and put a little more sauce on it.

Not perfect, but delicious! Until next time...CHEERS!

Rachael Monaco