You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Journey to Fabulous and Fifty: Eggplant, chicken and cheese low carb pizza

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Eggplant, chicken and cheese low carb pizza

This recipe was inspired by the low-carb chicken pizza crustrecipe from Yum Eating. The other night I need a mushy smushy way to enjoy pizza. I know I’m only 2 weeks post-op, but damn, I needed something and I am doing wonderfully so I figured I’d make it and see what happens.



Again, DO NOT EAT THIS UNTIL YOUR DOCTOR OR NUTRITIONIST clears you to eat such foods. If you are struggling with problems like foaming, dumping, dehydration, etc. post-op you need to keep to liquids and purees.

I had roasted an eggplant in the oven a few days before. I cut the eggplant into quarters and placed it on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. I roasted it in the oven at 350*F for about 20 to 30 minutes, until it was really soft. I let it cool then scooped it out of the skin, put it in a container, labeled it and stuck it in the fridge.
My husband had purchased a few cans of white meat chicken so I could quickly puree it for a meal, even just a little at a time. I opened a can of that and dumped it in the colander and rinsed it and let it sit there and let the moisture drain out a bit. It was a 6 ounce can.

Into the food processor went half the roasted eggplant (about ½ to ¾ cup), half the can of chicken and about 2 ounces of shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese. Hit the button and whipped it till it was a soft and looked pretty mushy. I tested it and it was definitely something that I would call a cross between pureed and soft food.

I sprayed an 8-inch (could have been 9-inc) glass pie pan with cooking spray and patted the eggplant/chicken/cheese mixture into the bottom. I baked it for about 15 to 20 minutes at 350, but it wasn’t quite as done as I would have liked it to be, so back in it went for another 15 to 20 minutes.
After removing the “crust” from the oven I let it cool a bit, and then I topped it with a bunch of mushy or soft vegetables that were easy to chew. Steamed zucchini, then some homemade pasta sauce, some sliced black olives, some mozzarella cheese, and some canned mushrooms. And yes, I snuck in a pinch of red & yellow bell peppers. 

I put the whole thing back in the oven and baked it another 10 or 15 minutes until the cheese was complete melted. Pulled it out, let it cool a bit and kind of cut it into 8 pieces. It was still pretty soft, so it did not cut like a traditional pizza. I removed a small piece from the pie pan using a rubber/silicone spatula. DELICIOUS!!


All always...CHEERS!
Rachael Monaco



©Rachael Monaco All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original recipe/article.