You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Journey to Fabulous and Fifty: Baked Salmon with Dill -- This is the Food I Eat

Friday, February 7, 2014

Baked Salmon with Dill -- This is the Food I Eat

Ever since I started really losing weight in January 2013 people started asking me, "What diet are you on?" or "What do you eat?" Sometimes when you tell people or you show them you lunch (when you're at work) they just don't seem to get it. But the truth of it is, once you get into it the healthier for you food tastes better than the not so healthy for you food.

When we were at the YMCA a few days ago several of the older members were talking about going for a fish fry. Not sure if that's the same thing everywhere, but here in Western NY, it means a big old hunk of cod or haddock, usually beer-battered, and deep fried. It's usually served with fries, coleslaw and/or potato salad and/or macaroni salad and either dinner rolls or a thick slice of rye bread with butter. 

Here I am, doing my 60 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes of water jogging and I can't get the words "FISH FRY" out of my head! When "The Hubs" and I met up in the member meeting room after out workouts he asked me what I wanted for dinner. I said..."A FISH FRY!!!" He said, "I KNEW you were going to say that!" But alas, we did not go for a fish fry. We decided to go home and have baked salmon but we still wanted coleslaw and tuna macaroni salad. So, we had to come up with something better than all that mayonnaise.

We headed home and I made oil and vinegar coleslaw to go with our fish
"The Hubs" baked salmon in the oven with some lemon and dried dill. Baking salmon is fairly easy, you just want to make sure you do not over cook it. Salmon gets dry and icky when you over cook it. We buy frozen salmon at both Save-A-Lot and PriceRite. Defrost the salmon n the fridge overnight.

To cook the salmon:
Preheat the oven to 350*F (ovens vary so you may need to set yours higher or lower)
Spray a cookie sheet with some non-stick cooking spray.
Place the salmon fillets on the prepared cookie sheet.
Drizzle with lemon juice, to taste. Sprinkle with dried dill weed, salt and pepper, to taste.
Bake the salmon for about 10 minutes and then check it. Poke it with a fork. If it flakes a little and is just about cooked through, it's done. Take it out and let it rest on the cookie sheet for about 3 minutes to allow the fish to finish cooking on the hot cookie sheet.
If the salmon is not done, rotate the cookie sheet and let cook another 3 to 5 minutes.

We served this with a modified, lower fat version of tuna macaroni salad. We put the salmon fillet on a bed of greens drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and a side of steamed broccoli.

I'll post the lower fat tuna macaroni salad recipe later! Until then...
Cheers!
Rachael Monaco