You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Journey to Fabulous and Fifty: Applesauce cookies -- how can I make them a bit healthier?

Friday, February 21, 2014

Applesauce cookies -- how can I make them a bit healthier?

I am feeling better, so much better! Even 10 days post-op weight loss surgery I do not feel that food is my enemy. I am even starting to think about the things I want to cook again and how can I make them healthier so that I can enjoy them in moderation at some point.

Applesauce cookies - how can I make them a little healthier
With the exception of the brown sugar and the vegetable oil Applesauce cookies are much healthier oatmeal cookies I used to make many moons ago. I'm going to need to experiment a bit to figure out if I can replace the oil with all applesauce or if I can use egg whites instead. Not sure how I'll deal with the brown sugar. I may go with a combination of molasses or raw honey and raw sugar.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd love to hear your ideas on how to make them healthier, especially so I can enjoy one eventually!


These cookies come out chewy and delicious, and you can whip them together in an instant. What's even better, they don't require any flour. If you have homemade applesauce, by all means use that, but don't hesitate to use store-bought unsweetened applesauce.

Applesauce cookies recipe
This version created by: Rachael
  • Ingredients for applesauce cookies
  • 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • ¾ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • ¼ tsp. salt, optional
  • 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened preferably
  • ½ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
  • 4 cups quick-cooking oats
  • ½ cup dates, chopped

How to make applesauce cookies:
  • Preheat the oven to 350*F. Prepare two cookie sheets by spraying with nonstick cooking spray or with parchment paper.
  • In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar, oil, vanilla, and salt. Mix in the applesauce, pecans, oats, and dates.
  • Drop cookies, the size of which is your choice, onto cookie sheets approximately 2-inches apart.  I usually use a rounded tablespoonful. Bake the cookies at 375*F until they lightly golden brown. Allow to cool but not too long and enjoy!


Yield: approximately 1½ to 2 dozen cookies depending on size

©Rachael Monaco All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original recipe/article.