You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Journey to Fabulous and Fifty: Weight loss surgery pre and post-op – What do you eat for breakfast?

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Weight loss surgery pre and post-op – What do you eat for breakfast?

Rule number one when you make your first appointment with a weight loss surgeon or attend a weight loss seminar – DO NOT SKIP MEALS! This includes breakfast! When I started on this new lifestyle I got asked a lot of questions and a big one was, “What do you eat for breakfast?”

Apparently breakfast is a mystery to a lot of people. I know, it was to me too all my life. I’ve always worked outside the home, so grabbing a breakfast burrito or egg muffin sandwich at a drive-thru window was my normal way of dealing with breakfast. That or skipping it all together. This left me neither a happy nor healthy lady. See, I tend to get quite cranky when I don’t eat. My blood sugar plummets and it’s not pretty.

At first it was a challenge for me to eat breakfast. The worst thing is when you have to be at work at 6am so you get out of bed at 4am – or in bad weather 3am. Secret to making things less stressful is to pack up all the food you’ll need the night before. Since I work 13 hour shifts I need to have everything from breakfast through something to nibble on the way home at 7pm. Eggs became a big part of my life.

Egg whites, one large egg, some cheese and a whole lotta veggies!
 Lately I’ve been eating egg whites mixed with one egg, then scrambled with lots of veggies and a little cheese. I leaned to keep a bunch of different veggies chopped up in the fridge to make throwing together breakfast a whole lot easier. I keep chopped tomatoes, zucchini, onions, olives, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc. in containers in the fridge. These veggie can also be used for pizza or taco night, so they never, ever go to waste. Every couple of days I just replenish whatever we’ve run out of.

I buy a carton of 100% egg whites at either Aldi’s or Save-A-Lot or PriceRite – they’re not too expensive – I think I get the equivalent of 10 eggs for under $2, maybe a little more.
A very tasty veggie, cheese and egg scramble!
I scramble together ¼ cup egg whites with one large egg. I spray a hot 8-inch skillet with nonstick cooking spray and add whatever veggies I’m going to use.  I reduce the heat from high to medium and then pour in the eggs. Scramble them around with the veggies until the eggs are almost set than toss in a pinch (maybe a teaspoon or two) of shredded cheese, whatever you like. I use cheddar, pepper jack, Colby jack, Swiss, whatever I have. Let the cheese melt and the eggs finish setting and then Voila! Breakfast is served! 
YUMMY! 


Enjoy and Cheers!

Rachael Monaco