You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Journey to Fabulous and Fifty: Oil and vinegar coleslaw recipe: Easy, inexpensive and good for you

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Oil and vinegar coleslaw recipe: Easy, inexpensive and good for you

I love coleslaw, I always have. But growing up we didn’t have coleslaw made with mayonnaise, we always had it made with oil and vinegar. Whenever we would get KFC I’d want to eat the whole tub of coleslaw myself.

When I got married, as a young bride and mother I learned to make a coleslaw that tasted very much like KFC coleslaw. I would make that all the time! LOVED IT! But, I’m trying to cut back my use of mayo and whipped salad dressing doesn’t do it for me and reduced fat mayo has too many things I can’t pronounce in it. So, back to my childhood and digging out the memories of oil and vinegar coleslaw.
Oil and vinegar coleslaw
 
I started by shredding a small head of cabbage – I ended up using half of it and saving the rest for another dish. The head weighed about 3 pounds.

Shredded green cabbage
I didn’t have time to let the shredded cabbage sit in the fridge in the vinegar and get softened, so I steamed the shredded cabbage instead, just till it was crunchy-soft, about 5 minutes. I flipped the cabbage a few times in the steamer basket while it was steaming.
shredded cabbage in the steamer basket on the stovetop
After the cabbage was done steaming I CAREFULLY drained it in the colander, then put it into a pot of ice cold water to shock it and stop the cooking process. I let it sit there for a bit to get nice and cold. Then I let it drain awhile, using some paper towels to remove excess water.
steamed cabbage cooling in ice cold water
steamed cabbage drained
While I was waiting for the cabbage to do its thing, I shredded some carrots. Simple enough. Peel the carrot, use the grater to shred it.

grated carrot for oil vinegar coleslaw
I tossed the cabbage (that’s half of a small head) and the carrots into a big bowl and dressed it with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and a bit of sugar. You’ll have to play with it to get the flavor you want.

The estimates are rough, but I used:
4 cups green cabbage, shredded, but you could use purple too
½ cup grated carrot (about ¼ of a large carrot)
About 4 Tbsp. olive oil, maybe 6
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar, maybe 4
½ to 1 tsp. salt
2 to 3 tsp. sugar (I used 2 tsp. agave nectar)
Toss this all in a big bowl. Toss it good. Taste it, see if it has the flavor you want. Put it in a container with a cover and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. Taste it again. By this time all flavors should have mixed 
properly. Adjust if needed.
Oil and vinegar coleslaw after sitting a couple of hours
The longer this sits the better it tastes. It was even better the next day! You’ll get enough for about 4 servings from this recipe. Adjust the amounts to suit your family.

Oil and vinegar coleslaw - YUMM!


Enjoy and Cheers!
Rachael Monaco