You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Journey to Fabulous and Fifty: Italian goulash recipe -- better than canned beefaroni

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Italian goulash recipe -- better than canned beefaroni

I'm sorry that I don't have any photos of my Italian goulash -- the next time I make it I'll add photos to this post. But...basically it's ground beef, elbow macaroni, spaghetti sauce and some spices.

Buy ground beef or chicken or turkey. You'll need a small onion, finely chopped (very small pieces). Put the meat and chopped onion, add some salt and garlic powder to taste, in a good sized skillet (fry pan) that's kinda deep. I use a "Dutch Oven" or soup pot -- basically a pot with two handles and a cover.
This is the homemade sauce I use to make Italian goulash
You'll need elbow macaroni. They sell it in the pasta aisle. If you have a large family (4 or more -- especially with hungry kiddos or teenage boys!) buy two 1 pound boxes. If you have a small family (just 2 or three - or kiddos with smaller appetites) buy one 1 pound box. Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions. You can do it, it's not difficult at all, I promise!

You'll need a jar or two of spaghetti sauce (I think 28 ounce size?) depending on how saucy you want your Italian goulash to be. I like mine saucy! Or -- you can use this easy, easy, easy spaghetti sauce recipe -- make up a big batch if you like. It keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks or you can freeze it or even can it!

While your elbow macaroni is cooking, heat up the spaghetti sauce -- you can even do it in the microwave in a microwaveable bowl!

Drain your elbow macaroni and immediately toss in a big bowl with heated spaghetti sauce.

Drain any excess fat off the meat (I use 85% to 90% lean ground beef so there's usually not greasy). Mix the seasoned meat into the macaroni and sauce in the bowl. Serve with salad and some bread and grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top if desired.

Basically Italian goulash is a much better and tastier version of Beefaroni in a can. I use Italian spiced TVP instead of meat in my version, but that's for another day!

Enjoy and Cheers!
Rachael Monaco