You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Journey to Fabulous and Fifty: Getting ready for gastric sleeve surgery -- January 29, 2014

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Getting ready for gastric sleeve surgery -- January 29, 2014

Had a minor setback yesterday, nothing that doesn't happen to me from time to time. I was diagnosed in November 2012 with Meniere's Syndrome. Basically, I get the world's worst vertigo (dizziness) and the room starts spinning. I feel as if  I've gone cross-eyed and I generally feel off-balance. A couple times I've actually lost my balance and fallen down. Once I banged up my face pretty bad. Yeah, it's not fun. There are a bunch of other things that happen like nausea and headache, the symptoms and severity vary, sometimes day to day, and definitely person to person.

There are many triggers, weather patterns and stress being two of the biggest ones for me. Weather got me yesterday. But, I feel good this morning and I'm gonna start my day.

I'm getting more and more excited about my new life! I that weight loss surgery isn't going to magically change my life overnight. But...it is going to make my 50th birthday in 2017 pretty awesome! Each day after surgery is going to be a little miracle. Each pound lost, whether it's a pound a day or a pound a week or a pound a month is going to be one more moment added to my life that I may not have had. It will be one LESS pound on my body.

I have no unrealistic expectations. I've had several people close to me have either the Roux en Y surgery (gastric bypass) or the lap band and I've seen them fail. I've seen the initial weight loss, and then the weight gain. No one has ever gotten as heavy as they were before, but after all they went through to gain that weight back breaks my heart.

Do I think it will be any different for me? I'm betting it will be. My head is FINALLY in the right place. My husband got very, very sick last year and had two operations and was in the hospital a total of 20 days on IV antibiotics. He was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He had a colectomy that removed 25% of his large intestine. He's lucky not to have a colostomy bag for the rest of his life. I came close to losing him, and well...that's not happening. Sitting in that hospital room, SLEEPING in that hospital room in a chair, hours on end, we decided together that way of life had to stop. And we never looked back. And after awhile you don't miss it anymore. Sure, sometimes a McDonald's commercial gets under your skin, but you just change the channel or walk away. You just find other things that you like more, oh...like living.

So here we are, on the threshold of another new beginning. We've had a lot of those in our 18 years together. And I know we're both ready for this one.

Cheers!
Rachael Monaco