You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Journey to Fabulous and Fifty: And the journey begins -- January 10, 2014

Friday, January 10, 2014

And the journey begins -- January 10, 2014

Hi! My name is Rachael, I am 46 years old (closing in on 47) and I have made the decision to undergo a gastrectomy (gastric sleeve surgery). It was not a decision I made lightly. Making the decision to have weight loss surgery began about 10 years ago when the Roux en y gastric bypass surgery was the only option. I made the decision that Roux en y surgery was not for me. 

When the lap band came along I was very excited about it. Then, after much research and talking to people who had "the band" and their not-so-positive experiences with it I made the difficult and heart breaking decision that the lap band was not for me either.

On Jan. 13, 2013 my husband was rushed to the hospital, deathly ill with a life-threatening perforation in his large intestine and and an infection. He spent 11 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics post-procedure just to stop the infection. He returned to the hospital on April 23, 2013 where he under when a colectomy that removed 25% of his large intestine. That hospital stay was 8 days, it was supposed to be 3 days.
Pre-op Dec. 23, 2013 -- down 72 pounds from January 2013

Between Jan. 13, 2013 and today, Jan. 10, 2014 I have lost 72 pounds on my own. And yes, it is time for the surgery. I eat healthier, much, much healthier, but it was a long slow process over the past year. I stumble, I fall, I do not always eat the exact perfect thing. But, for the very first time in my life I have maintained a significant weight loss without starving myself or feeling cheated. I have decided that I am going to be "50 and Fabulous!" and that's a short 3-1/2 years off!

This is my journey. The next 31 days leading up to my gastric sleeve surgery will be at best "interesting". In addition to being morbidly obese, I also suffer from Meniere's syndrome and moderate to severe hearing loss. Some days I can't even sit here long enough to concentrate let alone write. 

Two rules I have hear -- Number one - Honesty at all times. If you have had the surgery be HONEST about the positives and negatives, including the role YOU play in your experience. The second rule is NO JUDGMENT and NO NEGATIVITY.

Cheers!
Rachael Monaco